Poker tells are an essential part of the game of poker. Poker tells are unconscious movements or habits players exhibit while playing that can give away information about their hand. Their opponents can use the information a player reveals through their poker tells to make better decisions about how to play their own hands. Because of this, poker players need to be aware of the different types of poker tells and how to disguise them. In this blog post, we will discuss the different kinds of poker tells and give some tips on how to spot them.
The three main types of poker tells and their examples.
Regarding poker, the mind games are just as important as the cards you’re dealt. If you can read your opponent’s tells, you’ll have a significant advantage at the table. Here are three of the most common types of poker tells:
This is when a player gives away information through their body language or facial expressions. The most common examples of a physical tell are:
- When a player looks at their cards and immediately looks away. This action usually means they have a strong hand and are trying to mask their excitement.
- When players avoid eye contact or fidget, they might be trying to bluff their way through the hand.
- When a player hesitates before betting. This tell usually means they are unsure of their hand and are trying to bluff their way to a win.
- When a player bets quickly or without any hesitation. This tell usually means they have a weak hand and are trying to intimidate their opponents into folding.
Photo by Unsplash
This is when a player gives away information through the things they say or how they say them. The most common examples of a verbal tell are:
- A sudden change in pitch can indicate that a player is bluffing. When someone who usually speaks in a low voice suddenly starts speaking in a higher register, they may be trying to project confidence they don’t feel.
- An increase in speech speed can also be a sign of nerves. Players who are trying to keep their cool may speak faster than usual in an attempt to control the conversation. On the other hand, slowing down may indicate that a player is thinking carefully about their next move.
- A sudden bout of stammering or stuttering is often a sign that something isn’t quite right. It may mean that a player is feeling under pressure or is trying to mask their true emotions.
Photo by Unsplash
This is when a player’s behavior patterns give away information about their hand. The most common examples of a behavioral tell are:
- Players who always bet big when they have a strong hand are probably trying to intimidate their opponents. On the other hand, if a player only seems interested in the pot when they have a weak hand, they might be trying to make themselves look less threatening.
- Players who are nervous or fidgety players are often bluffing, while confident and relaxed players often hold a good hand.
- Players who quickly push all their chips into the pot are usually bluffing. Conversely, if a player hesitates or makes small bets, they usually try to hide a strong hand.
Photo by Unsplash
How to use tells to your advantage in a poker game.
Now that you know what to look for, you can use poker tells to your advantage. Here are a few tips on using tells to win at poker:
If you notice a player exhibiting any of the tells mentioned above, try to read their hand and adjust your strategy accordingly.
If you’re giving away tells, try to disguise them as best you can. For example, don’t give away too much excitement if you have a strong hand. If you’re bluffing, try to keep a poker face and avoid fidgeting.
Poker is a game of mind games. If you can read your opponents’ tells, it is hugely advantageous for you. So, next time you’re at the poker table, keep an eye out for tells and use them to your advantage.
GGPoker is a global poker online app that gives you access to hundreds of free poker games!
Poker tells are vital because they can provide information about your opponent’s hand. By identifying and reading poker tells, you can make better decisions while playing, thus giving you a huge advantage. If you want to start using this information, sign up today with GGPoker, the world’s largest poker room. It has all the tools and resources you need to become a successful poker player – including access to unlimited free online poker games. So what are you waiting for? Start honing your skills and learning how to read your opponents like a book.